Monday 9 January 2012

Food For Thought: TPP

Turkey Leftovers? This seems to be a usual problem around Christmas. At least for me it is...and there are just so many turkey sandwiches a girl can eat. So this year, I tried my hand at making some turkey pot pie. The results? Delish (at least the boy thought so)


TeePee's TPP (turkey pot pie)         
Will make 2 delicious pies

What you'll need:
- 2 small or 1 medium onion
- assorted peppers (I used 1 red and 1 green)
- 4-5 medium carrots
- 3-4 medium sized taters
- 1 1/2 cups frozen veg
- 1 can cream soup (I used broccoli, but chicken or mushroom would be equally as rad)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- various spices (I used thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper)
- 4 frozen pie crusts
- oh, and don't forget the turkey :)

First off, cut all your veggies into small, bite-sized pieces. I used our new crock pot to cook all the ingredients so they would get all delicious and stewy together. I'm glad I did because I got to run around and do other stuff instead of standing in front of the stove all day.
After cutting up your veggies, throw everything into the crock pot (minus the pie shell of course). I cooked everything on high for 4 hours - but this could vary depending on your crock pot.

Once you're done cooking your innards, pull your pie shells out of the freezer and thaw for about 10 minutes. Fill two pie shells. With the two remaining shells, remove them from their lining and attach to the top of your filled pies. Just a little water and they should stick together like glue. Poke some sort of sweet design such as a heart, or a pony into the pie shell to let all that steam out.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and cook those babies for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown, flaky and delicious.

*Note: If things are still looking a little runny once you're done cooking, whisk some water and flour together and pour into your stew and cook for a few more minutes. This should thicken things up and get it to the consistency you're looking for.

Also *note: these are rough estimates of how much I used for ingredients. I am really a grab this, try this sort of cook, so nothing is ever really accurate.

Let me know if you try it out. Any variations you can think of? I am always willing to hear some new ideas.

Tata for now. xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment