Monday 12 November 2012

Sunday Dinner

Yesterday I was really craving some fall comfort food.  I really love all of the recipes I can now use thanks to the weather cooling off (although today it feels like Spring again). Stews, soups and of course - pot roast.


Using this recipe, with a few of my own spice-related alterations (namely thyme and rosemary), I made a proper Sunday dinner for the boy and I.  It consisted of roast beef, brussel sprouts, and a potato, carrot and parsnip mash.  I was getting in touch with my English roots it seems ;)  All it was missing was the yorkshire puddings, but those things are darn tricky - maybe next time.

The roast beef came out deliciously tender, but I will take it out a bit earlier next time for more of a medium rare roast beef.  Good tip - Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your meat (140ºF for rare, 155ºF for medium and 165ºF for well done) to ensure a perfect roast everytime.  I added some thyme and rosemary and I cooked the potatoes, carrots and parsnips in the same pot as the beef.  While the meat was resting, I mashed up the veg with some butter and milk.  This was the first time I had ever tried this, but it turned out pretty well.

Since I was already in the kitchen making a big dinner, I decided to whip up an easy cherry pie as well.  It was cherry-licious.


Does anyone else's cooking get inspired by the cool weather?  Any good recipes out there for some stoups?  I always love new recipes.

Tata for now.

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment