Thursday 29 November 2012

Green on the Vine

Hi Everyone!!
I just wanted to start off by saying that I have missed you! : )
As you know, Christmas is my most, most favourite time of the year, and I just wanted to write you a quick note about my new favourite decoration for Christmas this year: Greenery!
Okay, now I know what you’re thinking, you can’t open a decorating magazine without seeing rooms and houses full of Christmas trees, wreaths, garlands, and trim, but from a girl who loves everything to be white or ivory, embracing green is kind of a new thing. ; ) I have always loved wreaths, especially at Christmastime where I rely on them as a replacement for a real Christmas tree while living in an apartment , but even my wreaths I would cover in ivory poinsettias, ivory ribbon, or anything to try and  make them less green and more white.
What changed this year? Well, first of all, I moved. I think it is important not only to update or change your Christmas decorating every so often, but also when you move. Different spaces have different feels to them, which trigger different inspiration. While my previous apartment I always thought was elegant with a big row of windows and crown molding, my current one seems more like a little cottage. It is smaller, and with little rooms instead of being more open, everything seems a little cozier. Therefore, the decorations that looked lovely in my old apartment seem a little sparse in this one. I needed to add a little more. So, what was my inspiration for adding greenery instead of just more white decorations? That was the result of a few things. First was this pretty mint green ribbon I found at Michael’s in October when I was shopping with Owl and one of our other friends for craft supplies. I was originally going to incorporate just this green ribbon into otherwise white and light pink decorations. Then I fell in love with magnolia leaf wreaths, and wanted to cover my whole apartment with them for Christmas. Lastly, I took a look around my little cottage of an apartment, and thought even if I couldn’t fill my apartment with magnolia wreaths (I realized that could get a little bit expensive), it would still look cute and very country-ish if I mixed in lots of green wreaths with my original decorations. And so here we are. : )

Some of my favourites...

The Cream of the Crop:
Pottery Barn's Fresh Magnolia Leaf Wreath, $116.73
Live Magnolia Leaf Wreath with Burlap Bow


Pottery Barn's Fresh Eucalyptus and Red Berry Wreath, $129. 84 (As pretty as the red berries are with the wreath, I would take them out. They're beautiful, I'm just not quite ready for red yet. : )

Alternate View

Pottery Barn's Fresh Olive Leaf and Myrtle Wreath, $116. 73

Live Olive Leaf & Myrtle Wreath

Pottery Barn's Freah Magnolia Leaf Garland, $90.50

Live Magnolia Leaf Garland


A Little More Affordable:

Walmart's White Berry Christmas Wreath (artificial), $26.00-55.00

Urban Florals White Berry Christmas Wreath

Walmart's Olive Wreath (artificial), $42.47

20" Olive Wreath

Lowe's Green Artificial Boxwood Wreath, $34.97

allen + roth 20-in Indoor/Outdoor Natural Green Artificial Wreath

Regardless of the weather outside, it will certainly be a green Christmas in my house. : ) I will post pictures of my Christmas decorating when I'm all finished.

Have a lovely day,
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment