Monday 12 March 2012

Debate Club: Black Wedding Dresses?

I thought we could have a little fashion debate! : )

Today's topic:

Vera Wang's Fall 2012 black and nude wedding dress collection.

My initial stand:
In general it is pretty safe to say that I like style and decorating rules to be clear and concrete. Although I hope I'm pretty flexible, when it comes to style and decorating, I don't take a whole lot of risks and am pretty steadfast in my preferences. One of them being, white or ivory wedding dresses. Although I do favour tradition, I like white and ivory wedding dresses more so because I think they are timeless, and on such an important and long-remembered day, timelessness would be one of the things I would be aiming for style-wise. Timeless designs are important too but I understand styles change, and if given the choice, I would take more liberties with style than colour for a wedding dress.

Thinking...
However, there are times when I really do think people can pull off coloured wedding dresses. Case in point: Elle Woods! We all remember Elle Woods from Legally Blonde fondly (Oh no... Just me? : ) On her wedding day in the movie she wore a light pink wedding dress and light pink was so synonymous with her that it just wouldn't have looked right if she weren't wearing a light pink dress. That is kind of how I feel about black wedding dresses too! Black is such a strong colour and tends more so than many others colours to become almost an offshoot of someone's personality and therefore has the ability to make a distinctive but complimentary statement. I don't think that there are many people who are synonymous with mocha (a previous coloured wedding dress trend), but just as light pink matched Elle Woods so well, black would match others very well. Possibly even others like me. : )

Bending...
Another important distinction that separates black and nude wedding dresses from other coloured wedding dress trends is that black and nude are basic colours, like white or ivory, which have that timeless appeal I was going on about earlier. : ) Will a black wedding dress, if it fits with your personality, look like a poor decision in 20 years? It is possible, but so too could a white dress. Will a mint green wedding dress (another previous coloured wedding dress trend) look like a poor decision in 20 years? I think this is much more likely. I guess what I am trying to say about black and nude wedding dresses here is that they, unlike most coloured wedding dress trends, are better able to preserve the traditional and classic look of a wedding dress despite having such a bold and modern twist.

Convinced! : )
The one on the right is my favourite. ; )
Seeing how soft and delicate they are, even in black won me over! Would I choose a black wedding dress over white if I were getting married, I can't say, but I do think they're lovely, and certainly a valid option to consider. See I told you I was pretty flexible! : )

xoxo

P.s. I am happy to report that I still haven't found anything that doesn't look nice in black. : ) Challenge me, I dare you. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment