Wednesday 12 December 2012

Guest Bath: Getting Moody

Top o' the morning to ya, or if you're reading this in the afternoon or the wee hours, or any other time of day...hello to you too ;)

Since moving in to our new house a little over 7 months ago, the boy and I have been working slowly but surely, little by little to make it our home.  In the New Year we are hoping to tackle our guest bath and master bath.  The master bath was somewhat redone recently - the shower and floors are wonderful, but the rest of the room leaves a lot less to be desired.  The guest bath on the other hand, is just plain awful.  Straight out of the 80's, has never been renovated - which I am actually excited about, because that means we can do whatever our little hearts desire to it.

When we first moved in, the walls were painted this hideous beigey-pink colour (kinda like smoked salmon, if I had to describe it).  The first thing we've done to the room so far is slapped on some moody blue paint.  I really like the colour in there and I think it'll really pop next to some white subway tile in the shower and white hectagonal tiles on the floor.

Because I'm a planner, I whipped up this mood board so I could get started mentally on what we were going to do in this bathroom next year.

1. Accessories - I already have these flower vases from CB2 and I think they're absolutely hilarious and perfect for a guest bath.  I really like these hand towels from West Elm and I think they work really well with the blue and white, nautical sort of vibe I've got going on here.  The art is Picasso's "The Blue Nude", which I have always loved.  I found a great price for a framed print here.  Add some sweet little baskets to hold soaps, Q-tips and other bathroom goodies and we're off to the races.

2. Wall Colour - It's not often that you see a blue bathroom.  That being said, we painted the guest room a month or two after we moved in with some leftover paint from painting our man cave in the basement on a whim, and I think I love it.  We used Dulux Lifemaster Zero VOC paint, which we've used all over the house.  It's a really pretty but manly blue that works really well with the little bits of nautical I've thrown in to the moodboard.

3.  I really love this vanity from Home Depot.  I was hoping that we might be able to makeover the old 80's vanity to something like this, but the old vanity is about 2' too short for us(...we be tall) and a hole is rusting into the bottom of the porcelain sink, so a replace is probably the best option.

4. Hexagonal floor tile .... my fav thing ever.  This is what I'm hoping for, but something similar would also work, budget is always key.

5. We will obviously be replacing the toilet with a brand spankin' new one.  Again, the old toilet is a little too short for us, not that we use the guest bathroom very often, but we do want our guests to be comfortable on the porcelain throne.

6. In our home inspection report, the inspector mentioned that we should re-grout the tile in the shower.  The tile isn't terrible, but I would love to replace it with some classic subway tile.  I would also love to have a wood tub surround similar to this from Better Homes and Gardens.  Finish it off with this awesomely hilarious shower curtain, and I'll have my guests laughing and showering in no time.

7. To finish the room off and allow our guests to get ready in the morning after a sleepover, this mirror from Restoration Hardware would be amazing! Unfortunately, we can't afford over $600 for a mirror, so I will try my hand at DIYing something similar. 

So that's the plan for the guest bathroom.  How about you?  Any renos (mini or gut jobs) in anyones future?  I'd love to hear about it.

Tata for now.
xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment